Nov 22, 2010

Risk - What Can Go Wrong

There are so many definitions of risk.

The newer versions include 'positive risk' and variations thereof. These definitions try to be very inclusive, to make sure they cover all possible perspectives and manifestations of risk. It can be a bit confusing. Some days

I am tempted to find a simple, clear, usable definition of risk.

I am not yet convinced that 'positive risk' should have the word 'risk' appended to it. On those days when I look at risk management as 'the management of uncertainty' I have no problem accepting that positive risks belong to this domain.

But for now, I will use as the most basic definition of risk:

Risk = what can go wrong.

Risk management = managing what can go wrong

The ‘wrong’ already implicitly includes a reference to our objectives.  If something can go wrong from our point of view, it means something going wrong in relation to our interests.  Something that doesn’t affect us is not something going wrong. So I don’t have to extend it to ‘something that can go wrong with regard to our objectives’  (in any case, I prefer to use ‘interests’ rather than objectives).

The ‘managing’ in ‘managing what can go wrong encompasses identification, assessment, and mitigation.

Let’s see how far these definitions will let me go.

No comments: